Weather Alert

Youth Charged in School Shooting Needs New Attorney

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) – The youth charged with killing one classmate and wounding three others during a school shooting in Washington state in 2017 will lose his private defense attorney.

A judge on Wednesday allowed attorney Bevan Maxey to withdraw from the defense of 17-year-old Caleb Sharpe because Sharpe’s parents can no longer afford to pay.

The Spokesman-Review says the director of the Spokane County Public Defender’s Office said last week that he expects to take over Sharpe’s defense.

Sharpe, who was 15 at the time of the shootings, will be tried as an adult. The trial is set to begin on Oct. 7, but may be delayed.

Sharpe faces numerous charges for the shootings at Freeman High School.


Information from: The Spokesman-Review, http://www.spokesman.com

Connect With Us Listen To Us On