‘Doctor Sleep’ and ‘Last Christmas’ top this week’s new releases
Universal Pictures(NEW YORK) — Opening nationwide on Friday:
* Doctor Sleep — The film adaptation of Stephen King’s novel of the same name — the sequel to The Shining — centers on an adult Danny Torrence, played by Ewan McGregor, still dealing with the trauma of the Overlook Hotel, as well as a drinking problem that temporarily dulls his “shining” powers. Those powers return with sobriety and he uses them to help a girl, played by newcomer by Kyliegh Curran, who shares his powers, and is the target of a group with similar abilities. Also starring is Rebecca Ferguson, Carl Lumbly, Zahn McClarnon, Emily Alyn Lind, Bruce Greenwood, Jocelin Donahue, Alex Essoe and Cliff Curtis. Rated R.
* Last Christmas — Bridesmaids director Paul Feig’s romantic comedy stars Game of Thrones‘ Emilia Clarke as a cynical Christmas store worker who keeps running into and eventually falls for a overly cheerful man, portrayed by Crazy Rich Asians standout Henry Golding. Emma Thompson, who wrote the script, also co-stars, along with Michelle Yeoh. Rated PG-13.
* Midway — Woody Harrelson, Luke Evans, Patrick Wilson, Mandy Moore, Dennis Quaid, Aaron Eckhart and Nick Jonas star in Independence Day director Roland Emmerich’s drama based on the true story of the titular World War II Battle — told from the perspective of the soldiers who fought it — in which the U.S. Navy dealt a crushing blow to the Imperial Japanese Navy, six months after Japan attacked Pearl Harbor. Rated PG-13.
* Playing with Fire — This family comedy follows John Cena, Keegan-Michael Key and John Leguizamo as a group of firemen forced to watch over three children separated from their parents in an accident. Also starring Brianna Hildebrand, Dennis Haysbert, and Judy Greer. Rated PG.
* Better Days – This foreign language thriller follows a bullied teen and a small-time criminal that fate brought together. But, before they can retreat into their own world, both are dragged into the middle of a murder investigation that will forever change their lives. Not rated.
Opening in limited release on Friday:
* Honey Boy — Shia LaBeouf wrote and stars in this drama based on his childhood and his relationship with his father. Lucas Hedges, Noah Jupe and FKA Twigs also star. Rated R.
Copyright © 2019, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.